Announcement on the Reproduction and Publication of Illustrations and Images of Banknotes
(Announced in the Official Gazette No: 25383 dated 24/2/2004, pages: 86-89)
Pursuant to Article 4 of Law No:5083 on the Currency Unit of the Republic of Türkiye dated 28/1/2004; specifications on size, color, material, resolution, wording and other similar issues related to the reproduction and publication of illustrations and images of banknotes currently in circulation, or withdrawn from circulation, or to be put into circulation are defined as follows.
"Reproduction" shall mean any tangible or intangible image that uses all or part of a banknote currently in circulation, or withdrawn from circulation, or to be put into circulation, which may resemble or give the general impression of a banknote, irrespective of
a) The size of the image; or
b) The material(s) and technique(s) used to produce it; or
c) Whether or not elements or illustrations that do not originate from banknotes have been added to the image; or
d) Whether or not the design of the banknote, such as letters or symbols, has been altered.
“One-sided reproduction” refers to printing only one side or both sides of a banknote on a single side of the surface area used.
“Two-sided reproduction” refers to printing both sides of a banknote on both sides of the surface area used, so as to complement one another, as in the banknotes.
Reproductions complying with the following criteria shall be deemed lawful:
1. One-sided reproductions of a Turkish banknote, provided that the size of the reproduction is at least 125 percent of both the length and width or at most 75 percent of both the length and width of the respective banknote;
2. Two-sided reproductions of a Turkish banknote, provided that the size of the reproduction is at least 200 percent of both the length and width or at most 50 percent of both the length and width of the respective banknote;
3. Reproductions may be made in conformity with the original banknote size, or in different sizes, if the printing is made on a material other than paper (for example on a metal surface);
4. The resolution of the electronic reproduction in its original size must not exceed 72 dpi (dots per inch); and
5. (*) In reproductions in electronic form, the expression “ÖRNEKTİR GEÇMEZ” or “SPECIMEN” must be printed diagonally across the reproduction in Arial font or a font similar to Arial font. The length of the expression “ÖRNEKTİR GEÇMEZ” or “SPECIMEN” must be at least 75 percent of the length of reproduction, and the height thereof must be at least 15 percent of the width of the reproduction. The characters must be written in a non-transparent (opaque) color contrasting with the dominant color of the respective banknote. In two-sided reproductions, the abovementioned expression must be printed on both sides.
This Decision shall enter into force on the day it is published in the Official Gazette, and shall not be valid for printed reproductions and publications done before such date. Non-printed reproductions done in electronic form must be made fit for this Decision within three months after its enforcement date.
Dimensions and dominant colors of banknotes that are currently in circulation and of those already withdrawn from circulation are shown in Table 1. Features of banknotes to be issued from now on will be announced when they have been put into circulation.
(*) Amended and announced in the Official Gazette No. 25612 dated 13/10/2004, page 48